Tuesday, February 2, 2010

This Is Just A Business

Sometimes things happen in your career that shock you no matter what you've seen or been through before. Last night I had dinner with 10 or so of my clients. Everyone that was in town showed up except for one player who I had signed a couple years ago. Over the last two seasons I felt that I had cultivated a pretty good relationship with him. I felt especially close to him because here was a guy that was alot like me. He had a reputation not unlike myself but if you took the time to get to know him he really is a tremendously awesome person. I learned something valuable today. I picked up said player from the field today to meet for lunch. I had a horrible feeling about this going into it but it didnt make the news any easier to hear. I was getting fired. This player handled the situation as classy and as professionally as anyone Ive dealt with in my entire career. I was shocked to say the least because I thought my relationship with him transcended baseball. I was wrong. Very wrong. This is a sobering reminder that no matter how much you care about a player or how much you think you're helping them there are still things out there that can get you fired. This player voiced some concerns, we talked, but I wish to god he said something sooner than just letting me go today. I teared up during several points in the conversation and you know what? Thats a good thing. I really cared about this guy but in the end it didnt matter to him. In his eyes, and he has every right to feel this way, I just wasnt right for him. I respect him for being honest with me but I am saddened that our relationship is damaged forever.
Theres the rub. The sobering cold reminder of everything that everyone always tells me. It's still a business. This is just a business. So, if the player is reading this, I'm sorry that you feel I let you down. I make no apologies for my actions or anything I have done that has gotten me to this point. If I didnt do things exactly the way I did them, I wouldnt be where I am at today. That doesnt mean going forward Im the same person I was a couple years ago. All last year I worked hard to shake any labels I may have had. I worked hard to show people I was doing things instead of coasting on potential. I think I have done a pretty good job of getting to where I need to be with my career. Im proud that I have 11 40 man guys, Im proud I have 5 25 man guys. I am proud of everything I have done so far.
All I can do now is keep doing what Im doing and hope that the guys I have will appreciate everything I try to do for them because god knows I appreciate all of them for sticking with me. I thank god every day for every single player I represent because I give up my life for them. They are my world, they are my life, and without them Im nothing and there is nothing I could do to ever fully repay these guys for giving me the life I have today. You win some you lose some but if you fully give up your soul for your job like I have you will never feel bad when things go wrong because deep down you know the problem is not with you.

Thats all

J


No comments: