Thursday, April 17, 2008

Distill The Life Thats Inside Of Me

Today was the last home game for my former HS baseball team. It was a very well played game but at the same time I couldn't help but remember all the things that I miss from my time there. That's not the focus of this entry, however. It was such a great game. One kid who we are advising absolutely exploded today with pair of doubles and a pair of homeruns while another player we are not advising hit another (14th) home run of the season. For all the griping I do about having to go to high school games I know when the season ends sometime in may I will lament the fact that I will never get to see this group of kids play baseball together ever again. I have gotten to know all the families and all the kids and have spent a great deal of time there on a personal level the last three years. Some kids will become doctors, some baseball players, some will struggle through life, and some will never grow up. Baseball has the unique ability to make people feel young again and maybe that's why everyone loves the game so much. It's been a special season for my high school, I just hope they can win it all this year so more people than just myself and the locals will remember this team forever.

On the pro side of things, Brent Brewer had a very good day today. Brent is a super athletic shortstop who plays for the Brewers minor league affiliate in West Virginia. Brent is by far one of the best kids you will ever meet on this planet and you would be hard pressed to find anyone who works harder than he does. He has had a rough go of things so far this season but I know in my heart beyond the confines of my job that Brent will be a major league shortstop somewhere down the line. It's hard reading fans criticisms especially when fans don't get to see the kids play day in and out but it comes with he job and we all deal with it accordingly. I hope people keep the faith with Brent, it will pay off down the line. And let us not forget what the great Descartes said.... "If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things. "------

Mike Brantley is a top 5 hitter in the southern league as a 20 year old, Stephen Chapman hit a monster HR in Brevard while Lorenzo Cain and Darren Ford each stole two bases.

Josh Bell of the Dodgers hit a monster homer in the cal league. My Carolina Mudcats bullpen dominating the southern league as well. And the Yankees group of prospects are all playing very well.

Jeremy Haynes is close to pitching again, which I cannot wait to see.

I am supposed to do a radio interview next week for some ESPN affiliate. I currently am in Orlando watching team Canada play then off to Jacksonville Friday then home Saturday.

No comments: