Thursday, July 10, 2008

Forever In Debt To Your Priceless Advice

Im in Georgia today, got here yesterday and am leaving in about 15 hours. We're representing a top Vz pitcher 16 year old free agent Alving Mejias. He throws in about 7 hours then Ill have about a month to sell him off to the highest bidder. Is there anything more American than that? God bless free agency.

Still dealing with the blow back from the PTBNL fiasco. Still waiting, still like the rest of you, still dont know anything for certain. It's something every agent I would imagine has to come to accept that in reality, you can only control so much, but in the end, the teams still do what they want. It's their business and their absolute right to do so, but it doesnt make it any easier to live with on a human level.

Ive done a great deal of interviews this week which has been a bit of a surprise. This blog even got quoted at one point which was kind of a reality check for me. It's nice I havent said anything too stupid on here and all my work to keep things clean for the most part have paid off. Anything I can do to help the players get their name out there more is good for everyone. That is not the only reason I write here though. I obviously do a lot of this for myself. I love to write, always have, and yet when I left school I never had a reason to keep doing it. This allows me to continue a love of mine and I will never take that forgranted. People can use this as a source but it's always going to be easier to call me. It is what it is I suppose.

Also dealing with some "professionalism" questions this week. You know what I have to say to all that? Fine. It's 2008 and everyone has a way of running their business and doing their job. Ive seen other agents. I dont want to become what they are. I dont want to lose the human element of my career. I choose to be the way I am, completely out there, and totally accessible. Other agents can say they do things a certain way or claim they want to start an agency that is like a family but 99.9 percent of the time its total BS. I know how deep I get into my players lives and I wouldnt change a thing. Ive been fired before and Ive cried over losing a player before and it had absolutely nothnig to do with the money. When you lose a client in this business and you care about the player and the family as much as I do you should be upset over it. Time heals everything and you learn from each experience obviously but the hurt never goes away because in some small way it's still a reflection of you as a person. And to blindly steal again from someone much more poetic than I could ever dream to be, the great elliott smith, who I previously quoted in this blog.....

"but they can't be people
not if I'm one
if i have to be like them
i'd rather be no one"

Thats what I think about other "professionals" in this business. Not everyone wants to be Jerry Maguire or Bob Sugar. I am totally comfortable being me and I wouldnt change it for the world.

All in all I lift cement

Mahalo

J


No comments: