Sunday, July 20, 2008

My Interest Is In the Future Because I Am Going To Spend The Rest Of My Life There

Today was another busy day on the trail. Once again another one of my prospects was involved in a major league trade. Ray Durham was traded to the brewers today for a pitching prospect and my client Darren Ford. I know Darren is going to a situation that is potentially better for his career but it doesnt make it any less jarring for him. The relationships he has built with his teammates over the last few years are priceless and hopefully last a lifetime. Not to mention that the Brewers are the team that gave Darren his first opportunity to play professional baseball. I know he will always be thankful that the Brewers gave him his chance.

I remember when I was first scouting Darren at Chipola JC while he was under control of the Brewers. They were playing TCC who had a raw leadoff hitter/centerfielder named Lorenzo Cain. At the time, the two had very similar games, however Darrens speed game couldnt be matched by anyone (and still cant in my opinion) The two were bitter rivals in college but after signing the two became the very best of friends in pro ball. It is going to be very strange not having that pair together anymore, and I know it is going to be hard at first for both of them. Thankfully Darren will still have ST in Arizona and of course there is the offseason. Their friendship has transcended baseball and I know both will be close for a very long time. When a player is traded for the first time it really reaffirms that this game is in fact a business and very far away from the sandlot games of childhood. Darren is excited about this opportunity and I know he will do everything in his power to take full advantage of it. I cant wait.


Mahalo

J

No comments: