Thursday, March 13, 2008

Strange happenings and weird danger in Tucson

Today I am headed over to Tucson to watch several of our clients. Leyson Septimo, Javier Brito, Jereme Milons, and Steve Mena on the Dbacks. On the Rockies we have Spence Nagy, Daniel Mayora and Phil Cuadrado and on the White Sox there's Cody Allen and Izzy Chirino. Dinner was solid last night. We all ate at a local place called Claim Jumper. Should be a smooth day today. I am managing the draft everyday for all the players we're advising and I'm fighting with a ton of agents trying to steal my guys from me. We've signed up some new guys recently and I don't think that sat too well with the establishment of agents. One of the reasons I feel I have been able to function in this business is I may be one of the few guys here that tells the truth. The sad truth is that the truth when finally revealed, no matter how smooth and liberating it can feel at the time, is often virulent and toxic. This is the rub of life and the massage feels violent. Experience drives society but who issues the license? I am partially to blame for the smog of the industry but I still breathe it in gladly.

So many people lie in this business just so they can take their piece of the pie. It's disgusting to me to see these renegade rejects of the third reich parade as the gate keepers to the promised land. I'm an agent. I can't make my players play any better on the field. It's going to be their talent that gets them to the major leagues. All I can do is work hard for them 24 hours a day and do whatever it is I am supposed to do. I have never paid a player to sign with me and I have never stolen a client. Most of my players are referrals from other players and I cannot envision a time where my business model would ever change. Most importantly I have never lied to any of my clients ever. And that is why I am still here. If you get caught lying one time you're finished. Everyone knows everyone here and if you screw one guy you'll screw them all. It's better to do what's right. Anything worth doing is worth doing right.


Thats the rant of the day. Ill leave you with an edited HST quote.

"The (sports) business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

Mahalo. J

No comments: